The Volunteer Coordinator recruits, trains, and matches volunteer tutors with adult learners to provide adult education and literacy throughout the community. Activities include coordinating and attending outreach or recruitment events in the community, conducting informational sessions for interested volunteers, providing training, conducting background screenings, and providing ongoing support to matched tutors. The Volunteer Coordinator will also assist with recruitment and support of AmeriCorps Members providing adult literacy activities. This is an entry level position ideal for someone interested in joining the organization and growing in responsibilities and leadership skills with the team.
- Recruit, screen, train, place, monitor, and support volunteers.
- Manage and monitor the activities of 50-100 active volunteers.
- Respond to volunteer inquiries and coordinate information sessions.
- Conduct background screenings and maintain volunteer/student match records.
- Lead new tutor training and tutor continuing education meetings and/or communicate training opportunities available through other partners.
- Regularly visit volunteers at their tutoring sites.
- Maintain compliance with policies and procedures for volunteer records and student information.
- Maintain data and compile reports for grant applications and reports.
- Maintain volunteer recruitment marketing materials including print materials, websites, and social media.
- Collect tutor and student stories for marketing purposes.
- Prepare and maintain volunteer handbooks and training manuals.
- Become familiar with adult education instruction to guide volunteer tutors on activities with their students.
- Provide assistance to volunteers regarding activities for students, lesson planning, materials, and resolving issues or concerns.
- Ensures academic discussions are informed by input from the instructional staff.
- Participate in the interview, screening and enrollment of AmeriCorps Members and interns.
- Manage intern partnerships with local colleges and universities.
- Collect, input, and track volunteer monthly progress reports and other volunteer info in the volunteer tracking system.
- Create and manage posts on recruiting sites such as VolunteerMatch, Volunteer Florida, United Way, Service Year, and local college or university volunteer/job portals.
- Provide monthly volunteer reports for review by the CEO and Board of Directors.
- Records communication with students and tutors in the student database. Inputs assessments, student outcomes, and other information.
- Manage partnerships with other organizations where volunteers are placed.
- Maintain site agreements with organizations hosting volunteers.
- Attend required state and national volunteer coordination training (travel costs covered by the Literacy Alliance.)
- Keep current with volunteer coordination best practices through identification of relevant professional development opportunities.
Coordinate and participate in events to recruit volunteers such as outreach events, community fairs, and volunteer drives.
Assists with fundraisers, special events, and celebrations.
- Program, project, or volunteer coordination experience.
- AmeriCorps alumni or experience preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; detail-oriented, good interpersonal skills, and able to manage multiple tasks/deadlines at once.
- Ability to develop, organize and conduct training sessions and presentations to small groups.
- Ability to work independently and proactively with minimal supervision.
- Experience with and preference for Google Workspace productivity suite.
- Driver license with reliable transportation and be available to work nights and weekends, including overnight travel when required for events or training.
Compensation and Benefits
- Starting pay of $42,000 per year with opportunity for advancement based on performance.
- Equivalent of 2% of pay placed in retirement account by the Literacy Alliance.
- Health benefits.
- Professional development opportunities.
- Free parking.